Tuesday, September 26, 2023

A Gallant Kerry Soldier


A Gallant Kerry soldier
lay dying on the Liffey banks
He lay dying there while escaping
from the cruel Black And Tan

A comrade held him kindly
with his head upon his knee
And to him did softly whisper,
take this message to Tralee

Tell my mother not to sorrow.
It would give me peace and joy
To know that she's the mother proud
of her own dear Irish boy

Tell her I'm dying quiet happily
and from trouble I am free
Won't you take this lonely message
to my mother in Tralee.

Short bridge

Tell my only little brother
I'm dying a hero's death
That I fought for dear old Ireland
in my last long heaving breath

Tell him always love his country
and never a traitor be
Won't you take this lonely message
to the brave boys in Tralee.

But oh there is another
and for her I can scarcely speak,
Would she weep if she could see me,
expiring tired and weak

She would 'cause she was kind to me
and good friends we used to be
Won't you take this lonely message
to my Eileen in Tralee.

Short bridge
Did she not regret our parting
for indeed it would be her lot
For she shared in all the sufferings
of her own dear Irish coll

Tell her I'm dying quiet happily
and the truth I give to thee
May she never know one sorrow
in her home in sweet Tralee.

As he spoke his voice grew weaker.
He clasped his comrade's hand
God with you, his comrade speaks,
proud son of Paddy's land

He kissed him as a brother.
Heaven be your bed, says he.
Cruel war has rudely taken
our brave boy from Tralee
Outro

No comments:

Post a Comment